Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Live Free Or Die?

The last great confrontation against the central government in our nation was the Civil War. Thomas Jonathan 'Stonewall' Jackson was to say in a response to spare fleeing union soldiers "kill'em, kill them all". I believe that Jackson, Lee etc. were all traitors, but that is just one person's opinion. That being noted I submit the following post concerning gun control.

I have been having some online discussions with seemingly level-headed gentlemen in Illinois. I don't know them personally, but they appear well informed regarding Illinois's gun law. The law is very comprehensive. Background checks and high fees every time you purchase a gun, no gun show loophole and other safeguards. Illinois, by the way, is the last state with no concealed weapon permit and that is currently being debated in their state legislature and courts.

They didn't bring it up, but I noted that Chicago's homicide rate is continuing its deadly rise. So, even stringent gun laws are not the total answer and gun owners may be correct in their contention that gun restrictions target law abiding citizens and do not impact gun violence. My view is that we must measure gun legislation against body count. Thus comparing Chicago's homicides to Illinois gun laws we see no impact. Citizens in Illinois are in fact more fearful and a majority wants concealed weapons permits. I asked these guys if Illinois's gun laws could be used as a model for federal legislation and that's where is gets 'hairy'. We get into the weeds about the Second and Fourteenth Amendment and I would add to the pot the Fourth Amendment.

Why this almost fanatical opposition to any perceived encroachment to the Second Amendment? I maintain that it hides in plain site. It is the word militia. I believe that there is and always has been a deep seated feeling that someday we may have to arm ourselves against our own government. Unfortunately those who state it most vehemently are the conspiracy folks who border on paranoia. Our latest example occurred recently on the Piers Morgan program.

I don't know if there is an answer that will mollify the sane but quiet opposition to any change in gun control. I don't believe that even high body counts will change these views. Because, underlying all the rhetoric, is the fear of the black helicopters.


NRA Head Feels Confident

No comments: